Monday, June 29, 2015

Accidental Chalk Paint Planter


Good morning! I'm excited to show you my new DIY planter.

This planter was kind of an accident. I started out with the idea to create something sort of like this...



...but ended up going a different direction. 

Let me start at the beginning. I bought this great ceramic planter for less than $4 at Target. I didn't know what I was going to use it for right away but my crafting wheels were turning and I knew I would figure something out. 

Then I decided to take my own spin on the Anthropologie planter by painting it a light gray color and using my gold leaf paint for some accents. 

I even took pictures of my plan...


...and pictures of me trying to create my perfect gray color...


but something wasn't working. I noticed that my black paint was really runny and not mixing well with my white paint. I shook the bottle and tried again to only realize that I was using CHALK PAINT!! How does one make that mistake? Must've been divine intervention because I then knew exactly what my planter was going to be...


...a chalk paint planter!! How simple and easy! You only need the planter, a sponge brush, and chalkboard and bam you have a cute planter that can be customized whenever you like.

I started off by dipping my sponge brush in my chalk paint and painting the entire planter with vertical strokes. 


Then allow that to dry for at least an hour before painting it with horizontal strokes.

**Don't you just love my Bare Essentials box haha! It's such a great box to store my paints in :)**



Allow the planter to curate for at least 24 hours. I let mine curate for several days because I went out of town. 

Afterwards, it was time to season it. I would make sure to do this over a cloth or sink because it can be messy!


Follow a similar pattern to painting the chalkboard paint and start off by running the chalk in horizontal strokes all over.

Side note: I know the inside isn't real cute but I knew it was going to have soil in there so it wouldn't really matter!


Then use the chalk vertically in the same strokes.


Then use a soft cloth or chalk eraser to remove all the chalk. There was a little leftover chalk dust so I squirted a tiny bit of Windex on a cloth and wiped it down. If you do this, let it dry thoroughly before writing on it. Like my mama says...Windex fixes everything!

Then I picked out my plant and planted it!







I love a good cactus or succulent plant! It adds such a pop to decor while not requiring more maintenance. What do y'all think? I hope you love this Accidental Chalk Paint Planter as much as I do :)

Have a great day!

 photo signature_zps061a4d79.png

14 comments:

  1. This is such an adorable idea! I've been wanting to try chalkboard paint, but never thought of using it on a planter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chalkboard paint and/spray is seriously the best thing ever! You should definitely try it :)

      Delete
  2. This is SO fun! I love chalk paint. And that cactus is adorable. Awesome job girl! Thanks for sharing, and happy Monday (if there's such a thing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! Happy Monday to you too ;)

      Delete
  3. I want "crafting wheels"! Haha I love to make things but my mom is usually the one with great ideas so I'm glad I can now steal some from you. Your coasters are still on my list! And yes, I also love succulents because they don't die :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Crafting wheels can come with time :) When you make the coasters send me a picture so I can see them!! Have a great day :)

      Delete
  4. This is so stinking adorable! I love it! Definitely adding this to my craft list! It would be perfect for planting and labeling herbs! Thanks for the great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea! And the ceramic planter is so cheap that it makes sense! If you end up doing that send me a picture--I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  5. Love your new blog! You have such great things to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Let me know if you have any topics, ideas, suggestions, etc!

      Delete
  6. that's adorable! I gotta get into this chalk paint trend!


    www.lindsayotis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love me some chalk paint! It's easy and versatile! Have a great one, Lindsay!

      Delete