Monday, February 13, 2017

50 Shades of Workouts


Did that header grab your attention? Who was expecting something a little kinkier early this morning? Sorry to disappoint but that is NOT what this post is about. I wanted to talk a little about my style of workout and what I've found to work best for me. 


If there's one word to describe my style of workout it's "punitive." HA! Hence the title. And no, I'm not regressing back to the days of my self-destructive habits but more so I enjoy workouts that leave nothing behind. The satisfaction that I feel when I leave everything I have in the gym is what gets me out of bed in the morning. My workouts usually leave me shaking, sore, flushed, and dripping with sweat and I love it. Is it just me, or is it weird that I like to see sweat drip off my nose onto the floor when I do a push-up? I'm sure I lost some people with that one.



In my opinion, a crucial part to success in health and wellness is to find what makes you tick and running with that. I don't think I've nailed down all my "ticks" but one I'm sure of is that I thrive off of morning workouts and specifically workouts that involve cardio AND weight training. I always joke that I'm like a Lab and need to be run. All jokes aside, it's so true for me! I am very high energy and fast pace so setting the tone for my day with a workout that gets my heart pumping and pushes my muscles is imperative.

Back, around 9 months ago, my friend Sara (HI SARA!) introduced me to Orange Theory Fitness and  #thatsallshewrote. Orange Theory has been such a sense of solace for me. It clears my head, lessens my anxiety, pushes me, and makes me stronger. For those of you not familiar, Orange Theory is a 1 hour class that focuses half of class on cardio, mostly running, and half on strength training. I feel that because of Orange Theory, I'm truly in the best shape of my life. I can run a 5k, I can do a push-up , and I finally started seeing more tone in my body. I overall feel mentally and physically stronger.

Here I am after a killer Orange Theory workout...red face and pouring with sweat!



I am by no means a trainer but I wanted to share some of my favorite killer workouts. If you are someone who is very time poor, doing high reps of these workouts will really have you feeling that punitive workout in a short amount of time.

Burpees
Love to hate them but they are a total body workout with no weights required. For an added challenge add a pushup to your sequence. 

Jump squats
If you put your weight in your heels and keep your core strong it can be an exhausting movement in no time.

Plank Jacks
Basically, you put yourself in a plank position with your forearms flat on the ground then jump your feet out like a jumping jack.

Hand release push-ups
Everyone knows a general push-up but this one is a doozy! You do a push-up but lower your body all the way to the ground till you can "release your hands," hence the name. Then push yourself back up to complete the rep.


Hopefully those explanations make sense! What have you found works for you in your workouts?






 photo signature_zps061a4d79.png

3 comments:

  1. I so wish I had an OTF by me, the closest one is 45 minutes away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby!! That's such a bummer. I'm sure you'd love it. If you ever head down to CLT let me know and we can go :)

      Delete