Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Book Review


Hi friends! How's it going!? It's been awhile since I've been in touch and I'm sorry for that. I love this creative space that I've created but I've just had a lot going on and frankly, I'm just tired! It's hard after a long day at work to stare at a computer and write. I end up putting words on the screen that in my opinion, are lackluster and uninspired. I never want this blog to be that. I'm working on planning my posts and writing them beforehand so I don't have to just slap words to paper.

Linking up with Molly and Katie!
But any who...I'm happy to be back with y'all. Today I'm talking books! I've always been a reader so this is right up my ally. Let me say, these books are pretty dang shallow. I apologize in advance! But like I mentioned before, I'm tired...so the last thing I want is to crawl into bed at night and read a heavy, dense, read. Ya know? Well here it goes!



Okay, I fear the wrath of judgment upon me. I won't sit here and sugarcoat it for you but I love the 50 Shades series. Don't let your mind go to dirty places because I know it is! I'm a sucker for a good mindless read about romance. It's not the most thought provoking book I've ever read but I had no intentions of it being that. So when the book was becoming popular I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I read all 3 books. Twice. I also went to the premiere of the movie as well. I should feel shame, but alas I don't.

When I found out that E.L. James was coming out with a book from Christian Grey's perspective I grabbed it up. It's basically the same storyline but from a different point of view. It gives you insight into what he was thinking throughout the story specifically how much he cares for her and how much his childhood has scarred him. If you liked the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy, you'll like this read.



Dang, my reads are looking for shallow right now. A little background information for you, I'm nosey by nature. Even when I was a little child, I always wanted to be "in the know." So this book was right up my alley. Ever since Brad's season on the Bachelor I liked Emily Maynard. She was pretty, dressed well, graceful, sweet, and kind. At least, that's what I saw from the show. So I was thrilled when she became the Bachelorette. Throughout the years I've followed her on social media and have enjoyed seeing glimpses into her life.

Amazon suggested I buy her book so I decided to give into my nosey nature and do it! I ready it in 3 days. It's a really easy, quick read. It's basically about the pivotal moments in her life and how they have shaped her into the woman she is today. I love how she tied her faith throughout the book as well. It's a good read if you're a fan of hers.


3. Balancing in Heels by Kristin Cavallari

I think we all have celebrity "girl crushes" out there. I mean I don't mean you really have a crush on them but more so you really like them and for me, like their fashion, diets, family, etc. Well that being said, Kristin Cavallari is one of my ultimate girl crushes. She is pretty, fashionable, a health nut, a mama, a wife, etc. I just love all that she embodies. So when Amazon suggested I preorder her book, I listened. I read this book in less than 24 hours. Yep, kid you not. That being said, I didn't stop, drop, and read...it's somewhat of an easy, quick read. It's formatted less like a novel and more like magazine if that makes sense.

She goes into detail about her family life, her journey to health, fashion, beauty, and business ventures. I particularly enjoyed the sections that focused on diet and fitness. She even includes some of her healthy recipes as well. I made the "caramel" bites and ate them up! If you have an interest in Kristin or want to read about her wellness passion, I think you'll enjoy this book!

I also have some books I've started and plan on finishing shortly...

1. Unqualified By Steven Furtick

2. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd

3. FINALLY finishing The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty

...so stay tuned for my thoughts on those books after I wrap them up.

I love reading! It's a great way to escape what's going on around you and focus on another world. What are your favorite books? What books should I read next? Happy Hump Day!! xo
 photo signature_zps061a4d79.png



11 comments:

  1. No shame here. I've read all three books of Mr. Grey except the one you are showing here. Now you have sparked my curiosity. You are right, they weren't mind inspiring novels, but a good sassy read. Yes, I saw the movie too, I mean how can you not after reading the books. From the Bookworm link up today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a 50 shades guilty pleasure :) Sometimes you need a mindless book to escape to! Thanks for stopping by, Michelle!

      Delete
  2. I'm a nosey by nature girl too! And my life has been nuts. However the book, still missing is getting mailed to you tmw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren! So good to "hear" from you. How are you and Gigi doing? I have to admit that I haven't read a book in a while. I have been tackling crossword puzzles in the paper. However I did check out the latest cozy mystery ,from one of my favorite authors, Sally Goldenbaum, yesterday. Looking forward to burying myself in the latest story of this small east coast town. Wish I lived there,, or at least could visit. I am interested in the Emily Maynard book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie! Gigi is good...she tests my patience daily but she's such a sweet girl and I love her so much it hurts! You should definitely get the book :)

      Delete
  4. Still so happy you linked up with us! You're the third person that I have seen that's read Emily's book. Now i'm dying to read it too!!! I haven't read the 50 Shades of Grey series and i'm kind of debating it to be honest. uh confession: I don't know who Kristin Cavallari is so i'm going to look her up now! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe that! haha Are you the only middle schooler who didn't watch Laguna Beach!?

      Delete
  5. I love all three of these! Grey is on my bookshelf right now waiting to be read :) Who knew Kristen (and Lauren Conrad, for that matter) would make it so big from their Laguna Beach and Hills days?! You should send me that book;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No shame in the Grey series - I loved them all! K-Cav and Emily's book are both on my list to read. -xx Leah || Chasing Texas

    ReplyDelete